COMETS The story of Comet
1. Comets are small pieces of ice and dust that orbit around the Sun, but their paths are not like those of planets.
2. Most comets spend much their time out of the Solar System, beyond Pluto. However, they can enter new orbits that bring them into Solar System where they become visible from Earth.
3. The most famous comet is called Halley's comet which returns to the center of the Solar System every seventy-six years.
4.Halley's comet was last seen in early 1986. It will not seen again until 2061.
5.Halley was the first astronomer to show that some comets followed orbits that keep returning them to the vicinity of the Sun,
6.Every comet has a head an along tail. The small solid part at the center of the head called nucleus.
7. The nucleus contains ice and the heat of the Sun causes the ice to melt and give out gas and dust.
8. The gas and dust given out from the head of the comet forms the tail. The gas gives out light.
9. The tail of comet always points away from the Sun
Halley's Comet 1986